I started writing a short story earlier this month for a 2/28/2010 deadline. It was about half way written and (unbelievable for me) somewhat plotted out.
Then I realized (1) I shouldn’t be including characters who aren’t in the story more than once. This reduced the current number of characters from four down to three and (2) the main character is not who I thought it was. It helps I was already writing from the (newly named) main character’s point of view, but I don’t know him very well. For days I have been stuck. This calls for drastic measures… like writing an autobiographical poem for him.
The short story may not be ready for the deadline but I want it to be the best short story it can be.